Urban Mapping makes maps that go way beyond driving directions. As a leading geoservices provider, Urban Mapping allows organizations to build sophisticated web applications and geospatial visualizations using hosted mapping services and high-value data. Urban Mapping’s flagship product, Mapfluence, provides elegant cartography and rich geospatial data – all enabling the distribution of compelling location-based content for businesses.
Urban Mapping is looking for brilliant and motivated software engineers to join the core team of developers for Mapfluence, our hosted mapping and analytics platform. You will help us define and build the next generation of our world-class RESTful web services and APIs for geovisualization. On the server side, we work primarily in Python, but the developers we are looking for are object-oriented wizards and can adapt to new languages quickly. So if you.re a rock star in Python, Java, C++, Smalltalk, Eiffel, or some other suitably object oriented language, then we want to hear from you. We work in small, nimble teams and like to go from idea to production in less than two months. This means plenty of opportunity to conceptualize, develop and have your code used by a broad base of users, ensuring regular feedback.
- BS in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent education plus work experience
- 5+ years relevant work experience
- Expert backend object-oriented programmer (e.g. Python, Java, C++)
- Experience developing RESTful web services
- A working knowledge of Agile Development practices
- Great team player
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
Other Relevant Skills
Experience developing one or more of the following is a bonus:
- High-availability, high-traffic web services
- High performance geo-databases
- Web-based mapping applications
- Big data
Please send your resume along with a note of introduction to email@example.com and indicate 'SOFTWARE ENGINEER' in the subject line.
Relocation assistance is available, as is sponsorship for work authorization (H-1B or TN NA FTA).
Urban Mapping seeks candidates who marry design informed by technical skills to continually surprise and inspire by creating compelling visual stories with minimal direction. We seek a creative director to shape Mapfluence, our embedded geographic technology, and represent geographically-driven stories.
- 3+ years in a professional capacity creating beautiful and compelling visualizations and stories
- Experience building API-driven mashups
- Experience with TileMill, Mapnik, Postgis, SQL
- Basic Python skills
- Working knowledge of GIS tools (Manifold, QGIS, ArcGIS, etc.)
- Minimum Bachelors degree in CS or equivalent
- Mastery of design principles and aesthetics
- Working knowledge of agile development practices
- Continually surprise and inspire by creating compelling visual stories with minimal direction
To express interest in this position, the least interesting application would include a CV and PDF of past work. We want to see your delight for and passion in telling stories with maps. We are not looking for a cartographer in the traditional sense. If you skills are only well-honed in the areas of Photoshop and ESRI with output to PDF or large-format posters, this is likely not a role for you; our domain is creating maps and interactive experiences across a variety of devices and platforms. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate .STORYTELLER. in the subject line.
Urban Mapping seeks an innately curious, detail-oriented and analytical Data Researcher to help identify, source and curate data for Mapfluence, our embedded geographic technology platform. This role requires candidates who thrive with a minimum of structure and seek to drive projects from ambiguity to vetted and well-defined outcomes.
Reporting to Product Management, the Data Researcher will synthesize detailed and technical domains of knowledge for a lay audience. This means understanding the intricacies of toxicology results in determining clean water to articulating the methodology of consumer segmentation and psychographic models.
For this role, .it.s on the Internet. is not an acceptable answer for conducting research. Rather, your starting point will be advanced searching techniques, open and proprietary data sources. While this role will likely be the least technical at Urban Mapping, we value cross-disciplinary thinking and will seek to integrate this candidate into our core team, offering multiple career paths.
- Excellent communication skills, recognizing different audiences require different voice
- Clear, cogent writing style (think Strunk & White)
- Undergraduate/Masters degree in humanities, liberal arts, social sciences or library sciences
- Instinctive research skills: turning over rocks, going on hunches
- 2-4 years professional experience
- Strong project management skills
- Academic/professional experience with long form and/or short deadline-driven journalism
- Power user of MS Office
Additionally, nice-to-have skills include:
- Familiarity with GIS tools and concepts
- Work with management to perform data research, identifying possible data sources for inclusion into our On-demand Data Catalog
- Build and maintain internal database to track data sources
- In conjunction with management, perform primary and secondary research as required to source data
- Maintain and update published data
- Create, maintain and update metadata as required
- Support Product Management with additional data projects as required
- Work with marketing to draft white papers, product data sheets and other marketing materials as required
Please send your resume along with a note of introduction to email@example.com and indicate .RESEARCHER. in the subject line. Referrals/non-templated notes of interest are welcome.